Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Meal planning

So, since I've quit my job, we have had to become creative about what we eat.  We are a lactose free household, and our middle son has horrible food intolerences.  Also, a doctor recommended that I go gluten free because I'm breastfeeding our youngest son who is having some health issues. 
What are food intolerences you might ask...  basically if Carter eats something that has milk, soy, rice, oats, apple, pear, or oranges, he has bloody stool and/or develops a horrible rash on his bottom.  (I hate calling it a rash because it is so much worse than a diaper rash, like you don't even know!)
I'm not a very good cook and don't really understand how to substitute things.  I'm learning from some great friends.  If you are interested in healthy eating please visit healthandmojo.com  It is run by Cade's cousins who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  At our house we eat a lot of plain meat and veggies.  I've found out that this is basically the paleo diet. 
Since our diet has changed two things have happened...  1. I'm hungry ALL THE TIME  2. I feel better!!
I used to not eat very much or talk about food because I constantly had a stomachache.  I would be to the point of throwing up if I had to look at food at a time other than meal time. 
Now I'm excited about cooking dinner for my husband and children! 
So when meal planning...
My tip to success is to plan out the main course each month for the whole month then buy the sides based on what is on sale.  I created an excel document where I listed the things I can cook and assigned then to each day of the month.
I buy what is in season/on sale.  Earlier this year squash was on sale for about a month straight.  So guess what we ate for a month straight?  ding ding ding Squash.  I can now cook squash anyway you would ever want it!
What if nothing is really on sale?  Then I buy frozen.  Publix is continually running buy one get one free sales on frozen and canned veggies.  No they don't taste as good and no they are not as healthy but they are in our budget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment